Thursday, March 24, 2011

Old MacDonald on an iPod!

I began my full time teaching two weeks ago. In English, the students were starting a "Down on the Farm" unit, which tied into the science VA Standards of Learning (SOLs) for understanding that young animals are similar but not identical to their parents [K.6c]. The students had a blast with this unit, but the only thing I wish I had integrated was singing Old MacDonald. It is ridiculously hard to fit every content area into one day. So when I found an Old MacDonald iPod app, I bought it for a dollar! The students get to sing along (in a whisper or hum) to the song, as well as, "paint the picture". My favorite part of this application is that the words are highlighted in blue so the students can follow along and read.  



The students can run their fingers over the picture to bring it to life.



Since rest is already apart of our day, it has been my goal to incorporate reading, writing, mathematics, and science into that time period. This is a fun app that doesn't require writing or drawing in their rest notebooks. Plus it is a great review to our English/Science unit.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are finding ways to integrate the iPod Touch devices in kindergarten. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

    ReplyDelete